Thursday, March 12, 2009

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

I'm going to attempt to make a list of the seeds I have bought for this year's garden. I usually buy heirloom and/or open-polleinated seeds, but, as in the case of lettuce, I will plant a hybrid if I can find a type that tolerates heat very well. I buy seeds from many different houses, but I aways buy beans and melons from Native Seed Search. Although the types of plants/seeds are meant for high and low desert growing or resevoir growing, I have had much success with early ripening, pole beans. Okay, so here are the seeds so far:

  • Tomatoes: Bonny Best, Pantano Romanesco and Rose de Berne. I have cut my tomato list down this year. I usually also plant, Stupice, Costoluto Genovese and Caspian Pink or Giant Belgium. I still may pick up one of these.
  • Peas: (Spring) Telefono (Alderman), (Fall) Mammoth Melting Sugar. I have had great luck with Provencal, Green Arrow, Blauschokker and a yellow type from India, which not too sweet, among others.
  • Black Dry Beans: Turtle, Coco and Hopi Black.
  • Red Dry Beans: Mexican and Scarlet Beauty. I planted Red Kidney and a Native Seed Search (NSS) type, which I'll list when I find it, last year as well.
  • Beets: Flat Egyptian
  • Green Beans: Just a simple Pole Blue Lake Black Seeded. I usually plant Supermarconi or other Italian Types, or Kentucky Wonder/Homesteader.
  • Sweet Bell Peppers: Giant Keystone. I have planted Giant Aconcogua for a few years, but love the Heavy yield and strong plants of GK.
  • Soybeans: Beer Friend and Sayamusume(We love to roast soybeans).
  • Sunflowers: Mammoth, and if I want to grow for height, Kong or Amercan Giant. If I want to grow for seed, which I think I do this year, rather than letting the birds have at them, then Miriam and/or Tarahumara White.
  • Melon: O'odham Ke:li Ba:so
  • Limas: King of the Garden
  • Broccoli: DiCicco
  • Herbs: Lovage, Cutting Celery, Oregano, Italian Parsley, Basil Toscano, Sage, English Thyme, Cilantro, some invasive mint and sorrel(sorrel soup)
  • Greens: I am not a greens person. I tried to plant Italian greens one year, but I just didn't think they had much of a taste. I plant greens for my son: America Spinach and Kale(can't remember what this is-have to wait until the packets come)
  • Lettuce: Parris Island Romaine and another I can't remember. Again, I have to wait for the packet to arrive.
  • Watermelon: I like to plant Asahi Miyako, but this year I'm planting Charleston Grey
  • Carrots: Autumn King
  • Cabbage: Chinese Michichili
  • Garlic: Italian Purple, Chechen Fire, and a wild Italian type that is small, but supposed to be very good.
  • Onions: Although I usually start heirloom, this year I'm getting Copra and Redwing for its storage time.
  • Winter Squash: Lakota. I usually plant Red Kuri or Hopi Red, but wanted to give this a try.
  • Potatoes: We don't each many potatoes. I would like some for soups, but I don't think it's worth it for us, so for the first time in many years, no potatoes.
  • Corn: Improved Golden Bantam
There may be more; I'll have to check my lists.

I can just see these starting under lights on my diningroom table, and in their respective rows in the garden.

I usually plant tomatoes 2' apart, but have planted them as closely as 18", with 2.5' between the rows. I'll be doing that this year with hopes planting 100, and either selling some cheaply or giving them away to local food banks, or whomever.

I think I'll end this for now. I'm starting to wonder if I have enough. Oh well, back to the seed sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment